SUSTAINABILITY LANDSCAPING SERVICES
As a landscape business, we recognize the significant part we can play in improving our environment. At Fisk Lawnscapes, not only are we passionate about creating and maintaining beautiful landscapes, but we also want to make sure that the services that we provide take into account the health and well-being of our team members, customers, and the beautiful landscape of Colorado.
While there are still challenges to overcome, we are excited about the various ways we are working toward a more sustainable business!
Sustainable Landscape Management certified technicians help ensure that we apply the right maintenance practices at the right time.
Here are some of the practices we are currently implementing and improving:
- Implementing proper landscape techniques, planting Colorado’s native varieties, and promoting efficient water management in conjunction with your vision to create a sustainable landscape of your dreams.
- Natural soil amendments, such as humates, compost, and mychorrizae are used during each landscape project to improve the structure of the soil and increase the organic content so that the soil is more capable of holding nutrients and moisture.
- Leaving grass clippings in turf for “grass-cycling.” This ensures that clippings don’t go to the dump and instead provide additional nutrients for existing turf
- Mulching leaves into turf over winter to provide better weed control for the next season as they provide additional nitrogen for the soil
- “Soil First” practices – conducting soil tests, improving soil pH, and working to establish healthy microbial activity. Colorado soil is naturally very sandy or clay-like. We work to create good growing habitats for turf, trees, and plants by following the “feed the soil” principle, benefitting overall plant health as opposed to artificially stimulating plant growth.
- Selecting optimal fertilizer and applying correct application rates to minimize or eliminate nutrient leaching, denitrification, runoff, or volatilization.
- Proper water management – involves quick repairs, retrofitting old systems to increase water efficiency, cycle-soak program for deep-root watering, and implementing the Water Shortage Ordinance requirements of Colorado Springs
- Using the best practices for pruning with a focus on shrub health and creating a more natural look (not just shearing into geometric shapes)
- Offering a fully organic plant health care & weed control program and encouraging properties to transition towards a more organic approach each year.
- Spreading salt and ice melt as necessary, while not overspreading. This helps decrease salt runoff, unwanted salt residue, and helps minimize damage to concrete surfaces.
Contact us for more information and to receive a complimentary estimate for your landscaping needs!
We look forward to serving you!